Monday 10 August 2009

Suffering

This article has been written based on my own experience, professional
practice and reflection on suffering teaching I received at the CSNM conference 2004.

Tim James, Paediatric Staff Nurse, Paediatric Intensive Care Unit,
Bristol Royal Hospital for Children


The book of Job is a fantastic example of what suffering can be like, and is relevant to the world around us today. Job was your usual kind-of-guy who suffered, but yet trusted in God and brought glory to our Father. I know from my own sufferings of past depression, I’ve often asked God the question of Why? In my work in Paediatric Intensive care I’ve been involved with children and families who have suffered and sadly sometimes died, and I’ve asked God along with my patients – “Why?”

Often as humans we want to know the reasoning behind our sufferings and we can’t understand why God has allowed it to happen to us. We begin to question God’s motives and doubt his love for us. The story of Job shows us how he went through dreadful sufferings. Satan believed that if the Lord took away all that had been given and blessed to Job, then Job would curse God and turn away from the Lord. So Job went through ill health and God allowed Satan to take away Job’s children, property and livelihood too. But Jobs response is amazing throughout the book. He gets down on his knees and worships the Lord: “The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.” (Job ch1 v21b).

This bible book goes on to tell us of the further sufferings of Job and how God eventually rewards him with fortunes, twice as much as he had ever had before. Personally, Job’s story reminded me of how God has strengthened my relationship with him through 3 years of ill health. I’ve been well for over a year now. Through my experiences of severe depression and desperation of life, there has been much good which has come from those awful times. My relationship with the Lord is ten times greater than it ever was before my illness. I have learnt to be reliant on God and involve him in all areas of my life. I have a better understanding of Mental Health issues and feel more equipped in supporting friends, colleagues, patients and families who are ‘low’ or depressed. It’s been a privilege to bring this skill into my professional capacity.

But there’s even more to the events of Job to encourage us. The book of Job reminds us of how God is sovereign overall and that includes suffering and the control of Satan too. We will as Christians ask the question of why we are suffering and why others suffer too. Could it be a consequence of ‘the fall’? Probably I would say! But we aren’t always capable of understanding all of Gods actions. Suffering is a mystery, which is to be accepted. There will be times of testing for Gods people: Do we love God? Or do we love our careers, car, comforts and other things of this world? What we can be sure of knowing, is that all things which have occurred, occur for God’s purpose (ch42 v2). It’s an opportunity for glory to be brought to the Lords name!!!

Within the health profession we will most definitely see our patients and their families question suffering and many will perhaps turn to God and ask ‘why?’ There maybe an opportunity here for us as Christian health professionals to tell them about God and how he sent his only son ‘Jesus’ to suffer for all mankind’s transgressions. God is somebody who knows all about suffering and most definitely suffers when his own dear children suffer.

So what does it mean for us in this life? Well, I have learnt that at times, things will be given and taken away. The question is, what will our response be to God? Will we curse the Lord and turn away or will we praise God and remain in “real faith” (commitment to God which is unconditional)?


What will you do the next time you’re suffering…?

Reflect on this song by Beth & Matt Redman…


BLESSÈD BE YOUR NAME

In the land that is plentiful,
Where Your streams of abundance flow,
Blessèd be Your name.
And blessèd be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place,
Though I walk through the wilderness,
Blessèd be Your name.

Every blessing You pour out I'll
Turn back to praise.
When the darkness closes in, Lord,
Still I will say:

Blessèd be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me,
When the world's 'all as it should be',
Blessèd be Your name.
And blessèd be Your name
On the road marked with suffering,
Though there's pain in the offering,
Blessèd be Your name.

You give and take away,
You give and take away.
My heart will choose to say:
Lord, blessèd be Your name.

Further Reading:

Message of Job - David Atkinson, 1991, Inter-Varsity Press
If I were God, I’d end all the Pain - John Dickson 2001, Matthias Media
How Long, O Lord? - Don Carson, 1990, Inter-varsity Press
What Could I say? - Peter Hicks, 2000, Inter-varsity Press
A Practical Workbook for the Depressed Christian - John Lockley 2001, Authentic Lifestyle

No comments:

Post a Comment